Join Poplar Forest on this self-guided tour of Jefferson's retreat villa in Bedford, VA. Over the next 30 minutes, we'll take you through the history, construction, and restoration of Jefferson's home and landscape. Hear stories of Jefferson, his grandchildren, and the enslaved men, women, and children who all called Poplar Forest home.
It is recommended that you watch the Orientation Video that plays every thirty minutes in the Orientation Center. If you do not watch it before going to the house, you can watch it afterward. The last showing is at 4:05 p.m.
Historic House Guidelines:
- Before entering the house, please make sure to wipe your feet if the ground is wet.
- Photography is allowed inside the house, but please be aware of other visitors and guided tours happening in the house.
- Headphones must be used as you listen to the audio portion of this tour.
- There is no food or drink allowed inside. Please leave all beverages and food on the North Portico.
- The Corporation for Jefferson’s Poplar Forest is working diligently to restore and preserve Jefferson’s retreat home. Because of this, we ask that you please not touch any of the walls, trim work or furnishings in the house as you walk through.
- The Black Windsor chairs throughout each room are which are reproductions and meant for your use.
- Please leave umbrellas on the North Portico if it’s raining.
And now you may move into the retreat home. We recommend you start in the first room on the right. At the end of your tour, you can exit out of the door you entered.